Your Kingsport Chamber’s Government Relations department serves as a bridge between the business community and our elected officials. We are the business community’s watchdog. Your Kingsport Chamber’s Legislative Affairs Committee Chamber is designed to involve business representatives in the legislative process and to mobilize Chamber members to take action. The Legislative Affairs Committee and Kingsport Chamber staff work diligently with community leaders and elected officials on a local, state and federal level to address key issues that directly affect Kingsport’s business climate.
Kingsport’s positive business climate is one of the city’s greatest strengths and is an integral part of attracting new business, retaining existing businesses and investment to the region. Making sure Kingsport’s voice is heard by our leadership is crucial to Kingsport Chamber members and benefits the entire community.
The Legislative Affairs Committee meets on a weekly basis to discuss and take action on issues of interest to the Chamber membership. The Committee is authorized by the Board of Directors to take positions based on governmental policies endorsed by the Board. This allows the Chamber to react in a proactive and timely manner. Committee members assume responsibility for specific areas (Education, Taxation, Workers Compensation, etc.) and monitor the status of legislation in each area.
Kingsport Chamber’s Government Relations efforts include:
- Review nearly 1,500 pieces of state legislation through the Legislative Affairs Committee.
- Take positions on issues affecting businesses, schools and the community.
- Hold weekly conference calls between the committee in Kingsport and area legislators in Nashville.
- Maintain a presence at the state capitol.
- Maintain a close relationship with the Tennessee and U.S. Chambers of Commerce and understand their legislative initiatives.
- Distribute information during elections about all candidates to assist members in making educated voting decisions based on issues affecting business.
- Hosting events that allow our membership the opportunity to network and communicate with those elected to local, state and federal offices.